Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010--This is gonna be a year to remember

I can feel it in my bones. This is going to be a good year because I’m going to make it a good year. Not saying nothing bad won’t happen--but I’d like to keep my spirits up. Me. Optimistic. Scary, isn’t it?

Also, I’m not putting anything too crazy on my goals list this year. I won’t make goals that depend on other people. At least I don’t. To me those goals are doomed. I’m just saying. Others have another take on it. Some will argue that I’m being negative, and you need to be positive to get what you want out of life. But you know...depending on others to make your goals work can lead to disappointment and heartache. I know this advice has been posted elsewhere on the web and by writers who put it much more eloquently than me. But I have a good reason. I haven’t reached my coffee quota yet.

ANYWAY...Goals:

Brooklyn: I have the critiques back, and I will be start off the year revising. This will be slow and tedious because I’m not sure if I’ll have another set of critters for this. Synopsis and query letter will be revised, and I will query. Shooting for July at the latest. And I mean the latest. Early is much better.

Daniel: He will be revised and out for critiques this year. Depending on Brooklyn and major problems and/or changes, I will try to query him out as well by December. (I sound like such a pimp, don’t I?)

Critiques: I would love to critique more YA books this year. And I do mean full stories. I’m more of a fan of doing novel critiques because I like to get a feel for the story, and to do that I need the complete manuscript. Not everyone likes that. I get it. But if you have a full MS you need a critique on, send me a message. We can work out a trade for first chapters and this way we get a feel for how we might gel. This is important. Most folks really do overlook the compatibility factor.

Travel: Time for me to get out more.  I’m going to conference this year in January. This one is more workshops. No pitches. That’s what I prefer anyway and it works out fine for me. I am so excited. I’m playing it down to my teens because I’m taking off for a few days and leaving them behind. That seems sort of cruel to be happy while my girl has finals and the boy is working and has to babysit his sister. Secretly, I’m jazzed. Shhhh...we’ll keep it between us.

I’m also planning a surprise trip with my girl after school lets out. As soon as things get finalized, I’ll share.

Health: I need to lose weight again. More important I need to get into shape. These last few months I haven’t done much except sit and type. I could whine and complain and blame it on the pneumonia, broken rib--but truth is I didn’t bounce back quick enough. My bad. So my pc time has to be broken up throughout the day. Exercise is also great for my mental and emotional state. Don’t underestimate the value of a good walk.

There are more things on my goals list, but they’d probably (most likely, most definitely) bore you all. By now I might’ve lost some of you in my long rambling anyway, but I thought I’d share. And seeing my list written out makes it feel more important. More real.

Have you all made goals for 2010?

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Maripat. I hope all your heart desires come true in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Maria! And I hope to hear more success stories from your way this year as well. Good luck in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you on blogger.
    Hope you make your goals.
    I've made some goals--including writing two theses. :)
    Happy writing in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two? Oh you go girl. Have a great new year and good luck!

    ReplyDelete