Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Saying Good-bye to 2009

I’ve been struggling with my resolutions for a good week or two, and I’ve come to the realization I need to say good-by to 2009 first. Yes, I am thick at times.

2009 wasn’t that bad of a year for me.

I completed Brooklyn’s story at the end of February. Cleaned her up some and sent her to critters. Hey I even have rough drafts of the synopsis and query letter completed. Go, me.

Daniel was plotted, world built up and written this year as well. Two novels in one year. Not too shabby.

I critiqued a couple of novels and shorter works. A huge cut from 2008. I still don’t think I found my happy place with the number of crits I’d like to be doing.

Wrote a couple of guest blog posts. Those were interesting to do.

I got around to seeing Val in real life, and we had a good time.

The movie Avatar was finally released. Simply fantastic eye candy. See it on IMAX 3D if you can. The impression I was left with is that this was a work of love for the director.

Out of all the movies I saw this year, Sherlock Holmes is another one that stands out to me. Maybe because I just saw it the other day. I did enjoy how the characters all played off each other and how their back-stories came into play. The movie also inspired my muse to revisit a story I put on the back burner. Yeah, I didn’t need my muse to latch onto something shiny.

Most surprising movie I enjoyed, Star Trek. Really truly thought I’d hate it. Turned out to be a favorite.

My son graduated high school this year and signed up for the Navy. Simply...wow. I knew these days would come but you know...it’s just when the first one leaves home it’s sort of mind numbing.

Lots of heartache and turmoil for my kids this year as they learned about first loves. They were hard lessons to learn but necessary ones.

Health wise for me it was a trying year again. My knee did heal but it took a lot to get there. I put miles on the bike and the treadmill. Of course, I had to crack a rib. You know...what’s the year without a problem?

Two books that still haunt me: Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater. James was hilarious in the first book, and he proved just as entertaining in this one. Funny and tearful.

And the second book, The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. It’s a creepy little zombie adventure with a sad love story entwined in it.

Oh yes, and the Kindle. I had a Sony two years before this, but I gotta say I love my Kindle.

How was your 2009?

2 comments:

  1. Hugs on the downs, yay with the ups. I haven't seen Sherlock yet, but Avatar's my favorite so far. Agree 100% on Star Trek though.

    I don't want to talk about my 2009 :p. Actually, though, it didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as I'd thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we had a good time TWICE! yay!!

    ReplyDelete