Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year Fortune Cookie...

The tradition in my house is to have Chinese takeout on New Year’s Eve. I know. It’s kinda strange. But anyway...


My fortune cookie had this goodie in it: “You will win success in whatever you adopt.”


My girl hearing the adopt part got all excited: Yes, you’re gonna adopt a baby this year.


Me (choking on apple cider): Um...what?


Girl: I always wanted a little sister.


Me: Seriously?


Girl: Once the boy leaves we can make his room into a nursery.


Me: No. I got dibs on it for an office.


Girl: But it would be fun to have a little sister. I can buy it onesies from Hot Topic. Paint her nails. Take her shopping with me.


Me: Like a pet?


Girl: I could help take care of her.


Me: Like your hamster? Hm...whatever happened to it? Didn’t it die...? Probably from a broken heart and neglect? And don’t forget the goldfish. They lived a whole twenty-four hours.


Girl: You know what? You’re like that one nerdy, crying kid on the school bus that no one liked to sit next to. Always bringing everyone down.


Me: Pessimism is a talent that only gets better with age, dear.


Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. ROFL I can SO hear your voices here. I had to read it to Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...thanks. Glad my dyfunctional life entertains.

    ReplyDelete