Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dreams that never come true...probably for good reason

When I was a kid I always wanted to play an instrument. I tried electric organs. Guitar. Flute. Even a harmonica.

Personally, I think some of the pets ran away from home to get away from my playing.

You have to understand, most of my family plays an instrument. Or they sing beautifully. Or they write music. My girl plays two instruments. Some people are just born with talent.

Then there's me. I can't carry a tune. Or hum straight. In fact, I am probably the only person who has ever passed chorus by mouthing the music.

I was not always this calm about it. In fact, I was angry. Sad. Miserable.

Then eventually I moved on. Because I did realize wanting it, didn't mean I deserved it. If you wanna know, I didn't really enjoy practicing. I think I loved the idea of playing, but not so much the work behind it. If you noticed, I tried a lot of instruments but didn't stick with any of them.

I still appreciate music. I was deeply upset when my mp3 player died and, by the way, my playlists consist of everything from classical to rap. My characters have soundtracks. I love going to musicals and live performances.

But in my heart, I know I'll never be a muscian of any level. And I'm fine with that.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to be a musician as well - I even almost went to university for it even though I could only play in a technical way.

    I would have loved to have been a actor-singer (think musicals) as well, I didn't have the talent and even though I know I'm a good writer there's part of me that accepts it as a condolence prize... (don't get me wrong, though I'm thrilled to be writer!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, wow...choosing the university must've been hard. You are a good writer and keep on creating new worlds to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they tested us for instruments in grade school, they wouldn't let me get one -- zero aptitude. I was disappointed, Mom intervened, they tested me again. Zero aptitude. I was disappointed then. I understand now.

    I can tune a radio, play a tape or record player, operate an iPod -- all that stuff, but no musical instruments.

    Hubby swears he could teach me, but I think that's his ego talking. I can't even clap my hands in rhythm with anyone else.

    My sister? She could play. Her daughter can play.

    My husband? Plays anything brass and string bass. My stepdaughters? One is wonderful with instruments and the other has a gorgeous voice. My older granddaughter? Beautiful voice.

    Me? I guess I was meant to listen.

    I was pretty good in athletics -- softball, volleyball, basketball, track (discus). Distance running? Those were my things. And writing. I never thought of any of those things as a condolence prize -- just me.

    I am hoping to be a third generation that could maybe do some painting, though. If I could find some classes to take somewhere, I think it might help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a nice idea about the painting. I like to sketch things but that's not one of my talents either. Heh. At times it's relaxing. I hope you find a class soon.

    ReplyDelete