Thursday, January 20, 2011

Writers are never content

Have you ever noticed that? There's always something we wish we could do better.

Yeah, even I do have my wishes.

I wish I could write more poetic, but my characters come off like construction workers hanging out in a rowdy bar after work.

I love my colorful band of misfits too much to give them etiquette classes.

So maybe sometime I'll create a kinder, gentler soul that enjoys a beautiful poem instead of a limerick that starts with, "There once was a man from Nantucket..."

Of course, I'd probably end up killing them off.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. and that's why we improve, because we are never content with where we are at. It's a piece of the human condition. :) It's how we evolved beyond OOH OOH AAAHAAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I agree with your point. My point here is that too many obsess over what they don't have. I say have fun. There's nothing wrong with challenging yourself and trying stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading Diana Wynne Jones' Enchanted Glass and nearly cried because I'd never be able to write a book like that. I might someday when I have the same level of experience that she has be able to write something similar but it won't be at all like that book because I'm not her, but I still felt that painful pang in my gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm embarrassed to say but I've never read that particular story of her's. But I do know what you mean. I've felt that pang. There are gifted authors that in just a few words, create haunting imagery.

    ReplyDelete