Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First Attempt


In case you all can't recognize it, that's supposed to be pizza.

Since the girl's been sick, I've been trying new recipes and making things from scratch. Her favorite food is pizza so naturally I have to come up with recipe that works.

Something with the dough didn't quite work out. Maybe being up at this altitude meant an automatic fail for the recipe. Not sure.

Cooking, I'm realizing, is lot like writing. It's a series of trials and sometimes epic failures when it comes to learning to write. Or learning a new writing process. A new way to plot. Or getting to know a stubborn character.

And some stories are simply harder to write.

Like the elusive great pizza dough.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. You know, a great comparison tween cooking and writing. So true. Good luck with the next pizza (that one actually looks pretty good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the things that occur to me while I'm cooking are a bit strange, and I wondered if it was too much of a leap in logic. By the way, the sauce on the pizza was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did it taste?

    Here's my pizza crust recipe:

    1 pkg dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 t salt
    1T cooking oil

    1. Stir yeast into water in a bowl.
    2. Mix in flour, salt, and oil.
    3. Knead mixture on a lightly floured surface until it forms a smooth ball.
    4. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place 10 - 15 minutes.
    5. Grease pizza pan with shortening and press into pan.
    6. Spread about 3/4 cup pizza sauce over dough.
    7. Top with cheese and other toppings.

    Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

    (I've done this with wheat flour, too. My personal favorite is chicken breast chunks, broccoli, and cheese.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looks pretty good, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looked pretty and the sauce was amazing. But the crust tasted like cardboard. I had trouble combining it too. I can't wait to try your recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete