Sunday, September 25, 2011

Books that I grew up on

There was only one major rule growing up in my house about going out with friends, DON'T get brought home by the cops.

I only broke that rule twice but my parents didn't know about them because when the police pulled up to my house, they let me go with a warning.

The police thing isn't the important part. The important part was that my parents pretty much gave me free reign to roam. I'd like to say they trusted me. The truth was probably that they were too busy dealing with the chaos my brothers were causing to be bothered with what I was up to. My friends in high school thought it was cool. Truth was I wished my parents cared more.

Anyway--I was pretty much ignored. And lonely. So to fill my time I read just about everything. Judy Blume was my all time favorite author back then. I mean is there a girl who didn't read Forever back in the day???? Or Blubber? Man, what a great story to this day.

Or how about Go Ask Alice by anonymous? Or Harper Lee's, To Kill a Mockingbird?

These are a few of my favorites from those days. They echoed with me. The characters' triumphs and failures stayed with me long after I read the last page. Isn't that what a great story is supposed to do?

Why then do so many want to silence these authors? These stories are an insight to history, to a way of life and maybe shed light on a way out of a bad situation. Or maybe stories are just good fun and an excuse to daydream to escape the ugly stuff in one's life.

I have never banned a book in my house. In fact, I appreaciated when my kids brought up stories they read to discuss them. Isn't that what a family is supposed to be about? Talking and not ignoring the troubling stuff. But what do I know. I grew up in a dysfunctional family long before that home life was considered the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment